350.org: JETP CIPP does not reflect climate justice, challenges community-based renewable energy development

Jakarta – Campaign group 350.org Indonesia said that the draft Comprehensive Investment and Policy Plan (CIPP) issued by the Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP) Secretariat does not reflect climate justice.

Firdaus Cahyadi, Communication Specialist from 350.org Indonesia, highlighted one of CIPP’s weaknesses related to climate justice, namely the absence of funding schemes for community-based renewable energy development. “Poor people in remote areas also have the same rights to development as people in other urban areas,” he said.

According to Cahyadi, developing community-based renewable energy can open access to electricity for the poor, especially in remote areas. Moreover, the right to energy or electricity is part of the right to development, and the government must fulfil it. Firdaus said: “CIPP does not fully reflect these principles.”

Climate injustice is also evident in the composition of JETP funding as outlined in the CIPP. Executive Director of Indonesia for Global Justice (IGJ), Rahmat Maulana Sidik, stated that the composition of JETP funding is dominated by foreign debt.

He warned that this mobilisation of funding could become a new debt trap for developing countries, including Indonesia, under the pretext of “energy transition.”

Maulana emphasised that as a recipient of JETP funds, Indonesia should be careful with this funding mechanism. He noted that developed countries that are members of the International Partners Group (IPG) provided funding in the form of debt amounting to USD 6,936.5 million, while the grant was only USD 292 million. This shows that the composition of grants is only 2.5%, while the remaining 97.5% is debt.

“The real motive of developed countries may not be fully serious in making an equitable energy transition, but rather tend to trap developing countries through foreign debt,” Sidik said. (Hartatik)

Like this article? share it

More Post

Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter

Get notified about new articles