Revised electricity plan includes 60 GW of renewables in the electricity system until 2040

Jakarta – The revised Electricity Supply Business Plan (RUPTL) will add 60 gigawatts (GW) of new renewable energy (NRE) to the national electricity system until 2040. The RUPTL is being revised by the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) and PT PLN (Persero).

PLN President Director Darmawan Prasodjo explained that the RUPTL revision was carried out to map the NRE mix that are currently mismatched with demand centres. Large-scale baseload NRE sources are located far from demand centres.

“In the RUPTL revision, a Green Enabling Transmission Line will be built to match NRE with demand sources. It is planned to add 32 GW of NRE baseload to the electricity ecosystem until 2040,” Prasodjo said in an official statement.

In addition, smart grids with state-of-the-art technology, flexible generation scenarios, as well as smart transmission, smart control centres, smart distribution and smart meters will also be built. Prasodjo said with the design planning and construction of this smart grid, the addition of NRE variables can be increased from previously 5 GW until 2040 to 28 GW.

“The addition of Green Enabling Transmission Line and smart grid will be explore energy from geothermal, wind, waves and all potential in the country,” he said, adding that NRE included in national electricity until 2040 can be increased to 60 GW. Thus, the addition of NRE-based power plants can reach to 75 per cent and the remaining 25 per cent powered with gas. (Hartatik)

Like this article? share it

More Post

Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter

Get notified about new articles